Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Us Country Folk...


So, we got some chickens. Why, you ask? Earwigs. Lots and lots of earwigs. My redneck ranching sisters says "You got bugs? Gotta get some chickens!" So we some chickens to eat them. Let me just say, I assumed that there would be a point where Alex didn't perk up and have to announce every time he heard a chirp. So far I have been proven wrong. You hear a tiny chirp in the back ground, and inevitably, a "mama! I hear da baby chicks! I wanna hold my baby chicks! Mama! There's anudder baby chick!" I just keep telling myself that that is the very reason I got chicks instead of stealing a few chickens from the Romriell Ranch. I wanted them as chicks so they would grow up accustomed to being poked and prodded by a 2 year old, and also so we could train Cami to not eat them. The second part is going to be the hard part. So, up above: Goldie is the gold one (we like obvious) the one with the distinct black lines is Grill (Jeff named him, and because the lines on his head look like a grill, not because of Grilled Chicken) and last but not least we have Baby. Which is funny because if you look at the pic someone definitely put Baby in a corner! Ha... get it?!?! Moving on.... The pic below is Alex sneaking off to poke at the chicks. He has no idea I'm watching him. He pulls the chair over and climbs up and sits there watching them. Cracks me up.
Please please please let me explain this face. You can barely see it, on Alex's leg right behind the chick. Right about where the chicks behind is, yup. Chicken poop. Face explained.
This was right as we got home and were taking them out of the box. He would NOT touch them for a little while as he was completely unsure of what they were all about. But, of course, he got over that REAL fast.
Ahhhh.... my bird dog Cami. She wants to eat 'em. She wants to eat 'em real bad. She'll sit down in the kitchen and just watch their bin, just waiting for one to slip up and escape. She's a good dog so I have faith that by the time they are old enough to put them outside she'll understand they are not dinner.
Oh, important fact! The chickens we got actually lay green, pink and blue eggs! We paid big bucks for the fancy chicks... $3.50 a bird! But apparently this breed of bird started the colored Easter egg trend. As soon as they are old enough to start laying we'll verify and post pics.

1 comment:

Sandy K. said...

I tried sending a commment already, and if you did get it, you can choose which to post:). The chicks are way cute, except they grow up to be chickens. However, colored eggs is definitely a draw! Alex looks exactly like Jeff...it's like looking through an old album. The faces Alex makes now really boost the resemblance. Great shots! Good luck with the youngsters - all of them!